Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Just when you think there isn't a theme to a post...


Shades of Methuselah!
It's Yosay Tilman.

More to the point, it's the mighty Jesus Redondo. I get the impression that he's a generally liked artist, even though he hasn't been seen in the galaxy's greatest for many, many years (perhaps he's dead?). I only discovered his work in back progs, but he's always stood out as having that elegant simplicity in comic art that I find so easy to read. He also perfectly captures that 70s essence lurking in much of 2000 AD. That's to say, wiry rather than muscly heroes, the constant presence of a quick death, and people who are miserable without whining about it all the time. Also, moustaches.

And so on to the next picture from my rndom trawl through my scans today. Sometimes it's nice to have a theme, and sometimes I'm just too lazy to do anything other than bask in the inherent glory of 30 years worth of back progs.



Here's socially conscious Jim DiGriz promoting nuclear energy. I have read the source novel, but I can't remember if Harrison was particularly eco-conscious or not; more likely adapter Gosnell was pushing an admittedly decent agenda.
You'll notice I'm also pushing my agenda of promoting clear art. Sure, I've been wowed by the likes of Simon Bisley and Mark Harrison, but frankly I've always preferred the ways of your storytelling experts.

Oh, look. Here's a Steve Dillon panel right on cue.

Featuring a rare pre-Fr1day Rogue Trooper in colour. A face I don't think we've seen yet in this blog,which is odd as I believe he's the second longest-running character in the comic after Dredd (well, if you count all his variations as one). The other thing to motice is how little there is in the panel, how easy it would be to copy it, and yet how beautifully it conveys the atmosphere of a professional sliding along a wire on a murky day. But everyone loves Dillon nowadays, what with Preacher being one of the gateway comics of choice and all.

Next, Cam Kennedy. Wagner famously loves him, and while I don't share the opinion that he's the best artist for Dredd, he's certainly excellent at it. I think maybe he's too 70s even for my taste. But his curvy hips and feet are something else. Here's a bit of humour from the man who I imagine is a laugh to be around.


Poor Steve Smith. Back in the first VCs go around, he was perpetually bewildered and scared witless. Of course he bucked up, but there are always days when you find yourself in a Geek outfit holding a las-rifle and just not knowing what the hell is going on.



Ron Smith. He's a strange one. His art manages to be both superbly clean, what with his thin line brush strokes, but his panels are often so full of action that it feels busy. I've always found it easy to see what's happening, and then you get to enjoy the fun details in the background. I think it's a shared opinion that Smith isn't great on Dredd himself, but he's awesome at doing the Cits and perps he busts. Go check out his work in Case Files 3-5, oh yes. I like his funny stuff. Not that he's ever done any straight strips, but his comedy is excellent. See - a little girl with a beast face eating someone. That's the funniest thing ever, I tell you.




And lastly, here's a picture of Brit-Cit Judge Stark looking a lot like Zach Braff. (courtesy of Mike McMahon)


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home